The Chicken Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Morning Allllllllllllllllllllllllll

+9
ajharris
wolfpenfarm
Okie
ferdismom
tree68
Admin
Dustin Biery
Deb
Belair54
13 posters

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Go down

Good Morning Allllllllllllllllllllllllll - Page 14 Empty Re: Good Morning Allllllllllllllllllllllllll

Post by tree68 June 9th 2009, 3:47 am

welcome back Okie! Very Happy

good to read some posts in CP! i realised i missed this board.

my chooks are all ok and all fully feathered out. one 17 year old Goldie is blind now being kept in her warm little tractor as she will know where food is and gets the sun in middle of day and onwards. the morning sun warms her "bedoom". And anyone know of an old chook or a record of one? on warm days i let goldie out and make sure she gets her evening meal in her tractor,

last month a friend from freecycle.com/auckland NZ came and set up a worm-farm using an old bath he got for nothing for me. here's the link he gave me re the worm farm.
http://www.instructables.com/id/worm-farm-with-volume/

enjoy your summer all of ya Wink
tree68
tree68

Back to top Go down

Good Morning Allllllllllllllllllllllllll - Page 14 Empty Re: Good Morning Allllllllllllllllllllllllll

Post by Okie June 11th 2009, 12:45 pm

Summer isn't here officially yet, but the weather doesn't seem to know that. We got 3/4 inch of rain yesterday. Today we have chances of showers and tomorrow the heat index is supposed to be 105*
I have a little mixed breed blue hen that hid her nest under some tin on top of one of my chicken tractors. She was sitting on 10 eggs. My granddaughter came running in yesterday and told me there was only two eggs left and they both had chicks trying to hatch, but the ants were gonna eat them. I went out and sure enough, only two eggs were left. I gathered the two have hatched chicks up and brought them in to an incubator. I went back and found the little hen and 8 chicks under another piece of tin. She was as mad as a hornet when I caught her, but that is okay. We put her and the 8 chicks in a little brooder house. This morning I distracted her while I gave her other two babies back to her. Mama and all 10 babies are safe, dry and happy now. Smile
Okie
Okie
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin June 11th 2009, 11:23 pm

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yay I am glad you saved the other two peeps sooooooooooooooooooooooooo where are the pics Razz
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thechickenpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 June 12th 2009, 8:16 am

funny i thought i posted earlier - sigh

awww love that story and giggled at "mad as a hornet" mother - naturally...!!!

thanks Okie for sharing.

yes pics please
tree68
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie June 12th 2009, 10:42 am

Little mama and the chicks are still in the brooder house. I will turn them loose when the stormy weather has passed. I will get pictures once they are out in the green grass. Smile
I have three Bantam Cochin hens that are as broody as all get out. One has her nest down in an old rabbit nest box, but the box is on it's end and there would be no way chicks could get out once they hatched. This little hen had about a a dozen eggs under her. I stole them and put them in an incubator. I candled eggs last night and the Cochin eggs are getting real close to hatch time. I am gonna move the old nest box into an unused rabbit coop to see if she will stay with the nest after it is moved and put on it's bottom like it should be. If the little gal sticks to the nest, I am gonna take her eggs back out to her and let her hatch and raise them herself.
This rabbit hutch I am gonna put her in is a divided cage. In the nest box on the other side there are two Bantams Cochins who are on empty nests, but sitting right together. I am thinking I might just take another batch of eggs out of the incubator and let them finish the job.
I had thought I might give them guinea eggs, but I am wanting to sell them as soon as possible, so I will just give those girls unfinished chicken eggs and I will hatch the guineas in incubators. lol
I will get out the camera and take pictures to post when I get a chance.
Okie
Okie
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 June 12th 2009, 9:11 pm

o o o what fun you are having - deciding which hen and which eggs to hatch. very lucky Smile one spring a year is not enough for me. i plan to hatch more chicks this spring using 'my' rooster over the road :p

looking forward to your cute pics Very Happy
tree68
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie June 15th 2009, 9:53 am

I still haven't got the camera out. The little hen with the 10 chicks is happy in her little area of the brooder.
I took the 10 cochin eggs out and put them under two who have been hanging tight to the nest. They hatched 5 so far. The problem with them is this. Three days after hatching the first chick, they still hadn't brought them out to eat or drink. I took those babies and brought them in to an inside brooder I had set up. The hens didn't seem to mind me taking the chicks, but they didn't want me to take those unhatched eggs. Silly old hens. lol
My daughter brought me in some Welsummer chicks yesterday. I think there are 8 little brown chipmunk chicks in the brooder with the Cochin chicks.
I have guinea keets hatching in one incubator. I peeked in through a window and spied what I think is a white one. If it is a white one, I won't be selling it. I have right at 100 guinea eggs incubating. I keep looking for more nests, but so far they have hid them well. I have all the guineas anyone could ever want, so I am planning to sell these keets through a local feed store. People are begging for guineas this year. Ticks and bugs are everywhere this year.
We are waiting on Ducks, geese and Turkey eggs from my Daughter's flocks to hatch and sell also. This hatching and selling will be eggs that would be several days old at the first of the week , so they would not be candidates for shipping out as hatching eggs.
It looks like it is gonna be a rainy day today, if by chance the rains go around us, I will try to get the camera out and pictures taken.
Y'all have a great day.
Okie
Okie
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie June 16th 2009, 9:49 am

The rain missed us, but I had my 19 month old grandson and his 6 yr old sister yesterday while my daughter worked at the Feed store in town. I didn't get much done besides keep him out of stuff, but it was a profitable day none the less. Two years ago I bought guinea eggs from Arizona. They supposedly had 8 different colors of guineas possible. I got nothing but plain old grey speckled guineas. There were a couple of pied ones and one that had a darker purple color, but that was it. A guinea hen hatches off some last year and still just grey speckled and a few pieds. Well, since Mandy has been working at the feed store some, she has been telling me about all the folks who have been asking for guinea keets or guinea eggs. I talked the lady who owns the store and she said she would be happy to sell keets for me instead of ordering from the hatcheries. I found a nest of eggs a month ago and put them in an incubator. I found two other nests later and have them incubating as well as having three dozen waiting to have room in one of the three Styrofoam incubators.
Yesterday the first batch hatched. To my surprise there are several white keets and a few lavender ones along with a few other odd colored ones. There are quite a few of the little striped ones that will end up being the grey speckled, but I am just thrilled with the odd colored ones. I will keep them and sell the others. Smile
Them my daughter calls and wants to know if I want to sell the 5 little Cochin chicks. I ended up making a deal to take the 5 new babies and the 6 or 7 older Cochin chick to the feed store today for a man who was wanting bantam chicks.
Then a neighbor calls and tells me he has two dozen Guinea eggs he wants to sell me. Smile
So all in all it was a very profitable day yesterday.
I am just wishing I had one of the big incubators or two or three more of these little Styrofoam ones. The two Cochins left the nest with the other 5 eggs unhatched and the other three hens who had been acting broody have now stopped. I do have one hen who is trying to go broody one me. She of course wants to nest in the chicken house. I have a couple of the Milk crates, that hold four gallons of milk , screwed to the walls of the chicken house for nests. I think I have a card board box that will fit right down in one of the crates. I will get the crates lined with a cardboard box and let the hen get real cozy in the nest. Then I will go out during the dark of night and mover her box and all to a coop. If she stays on the nest, I will give her a clutch of eggs of my choosing to hatch. lol!
I guess I better go catch up those older Cochin chicks.
Y'all have a great day and cross your fingers I can get time to take pictures today. ROFL
Okie
Okie
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb June 16th 2009, 11:11 pm

Terrific updates Okie! I'm here and reading, just soooooooooooooo massively swamped with a new job and homework from my college courses.
Deb
Deb
Admin

http://p103.ezboard.com/bfeatheredfriends

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie June 17th 2009, 10:31 am

Well the two Cochin hens went back to the nest in the rabbit hutch. They now each have a dozen chicken eggs to keep them busy. I put another
3 1/2 dozen guinea eggs in one of the incubators.
I had the grandson most of the afternoon while his mama and oldest sister were building a Turkey pen. So I didn't get out the camera and I didn't get much done around here except chasing him.
I wish I had half the energy now that I had when raising my kids and I wish I would have had half the wisdom then that I have acquired over the years. LOL
I will do as I can when I can and what I don't get to will still be waiting on me. Rofl
Y'all have a great day.
Okie
Okie
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie June 18th 2009, 1:20 pm

Hello,
It is hot here in Okieland. I think I will end up having to use the A/C at night now. I dread the looks of the Electric bills, but being on the averaging program, I know the amount I pay won't go up any. Smile

I had a surprise when I went to turning eggs in the incubators this morning. I had turned eggs in two and opened the lid on the third which has eggs that aren't due for another week or more. There sat a pretty little duck looking at me. ROFL
I had forgotten about the duck eggs my daughter had brought in. The nest was in last years hay that the man was pulling out of the barn so he could start putting this years hay in. He had given last years to my daughter and he was gonna chunk the eggs. She saved them and I candled them. Three showed they were close to hatch size, so that is where the duck came from, but it was still a surprise to see the little black and yellow fellow looking up at me when I opened the incubator. lol
It looks like the rains are over for a while here and the heat is on. I need to move chicks from a brooder to an open coop for air circulation. I guess I will go get that taken care of before the heat cooks them all.
Hope all of y'all have a great day.
Okie
Okie
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustin Biery June 19th 2009, 12:43 pm

Okie, where you located? I have been looking for some guineas myself. If not too far from the Ft. Smith area, I would love to possibly come get some from you?
Dustin Biery
Dustin Biery

http://bierygame.webs.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie June 19th 2009, 2:34 pm

I am about 30 miles South of McAlester on Highway 69. Probably 150 miles from Ft. Smith. My Daughter some times does bartering with a couple of gals over in the Heavener area. Maybe next time she goes, You could meet her around there. That would save half the trip for you. Smile

Okie
Okie
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustin Biery June 19th 2009, 11:39 pm

Sounds like a plan! I am in McAlester 3 days a week for work.
Dustin Biery
Dustin Biery

http://bierygame.webs.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin June 20th 2009, 12:14 am

wooooooooooooooooo boy you have been very busy over there haven't yah lol hatching heaven lol
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thechickenpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie June 20th 2009, 5:49 pm

Dustin Biery wrote:Okie, where you located? I have been looking for some guineas myself. If not too far from the Ft. Smith area, I would love to possibly come get some from you?

Hey Dustin, that is cool. I could meet you in McAlester with keets. You will have to wait till next week at least though. All this last hatch are sold. More are due on Tuesday I think. I would have to look at the calendar and make sure.

Okie
Okie
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie June 26th 2009, 10:06 am

Good Morning. It is gonna be a hot day here. One weather place says 99* and another says 102* is expected for the high today and tomorrow. Which ever it is, it is too danged hot. LOL
I mean really! How often have any of you had to worry about putting baby chicks outside because it was too hot for them? I put my Wellsummer chicks out yesterday and had to check on them several times because I was worried about the heat. They are in a raised coop, but in the shade, so maybe they will be okay.
I have chicks hatching out now and keets are due Monday or Tuesday. I guess I better get more outside brooders lined out. LOL
Y'all have a great day.
Okie
Okie
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 June 26th 2009, 10:11 pm

something i found in my hotmail from a member in flylady.com
hope this is useful to you? Very Happy

Daily Aromatherapy Tip -Tub and Shower Scrub

This recipe helps to remove and prevent mold and mildew buildup.

1/2 Cup Baking Soda
10 drops Tea Tree essential oil
10 drops Lavender essential oil
10 drops Geranium essential oil

Combine all ingredients and using a damp sponge or cloth, scrub
bathtub and/or shower.
For serious mildew buildup areas, combine 20 drops of Tea Tree and
water in a spray bottle,
and spray area everyday for 5 days, then 2x a week.

Brought to you by AromaThyme.com

today is a wet dank day after a deep fog right up to midday altho one or two c's warmer

chooks are ok except for two - one has swollen eyes - another has a really dirty bottom (i suspect bread because that's the first thing she goes for when eating).

am ok - been playing farmtown Laughing mixing with neighbours from BYP (aussie chicken people) and anna Very Happy
tree68
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie June 28th 2009, 10:16 am

Good Morning,

It is getting hot here. We haven't had any rain in some time either. Actually, it hasn't been all that long ago I was whining because of too much rain, but clay soils don't hold moisture and the sun cooks it to concrete hardness in no time. I had to put a sprinkler on one of the gardens yesterday evening. My tomatoes and peppers were getting so droopy. Maybe now they will perk up and shoot some grow juice to the little peppers and tomatoes. lol
I picked the first beans yesterday. It was just a small handful, but it is a beginning. The beans were eaten raw by my daughter and grand kids. They like them raw as well as they do cooked. Smile
As I said, my ground is hard as a rock. I put down a hose and watered between my onions and potatoes yesterday evening. The onions aren't very big, but the tops have turned yellow and fallen over on most. I will get out there and get them pulled here in an hour or so. I think I will dig the potatoes to. Their vines have all died down and I don't think there will be more than a good mess of new potatoes, but they will taste wonderful with the next picking of beans. If I can keep the beans away from the kids long enough to cook them, that is. lol
I have an area that is about 15 ft wide and 25 feet long that has not been gardened in about three years. I tilled it a week or so ago, but it was so hard that I didn't get more than two inches deep. I think I will water it good and try to till deeper so I can plant another crop of corn, okra and some herbs. This area is on the West side of my property and the ditch outside the fence is full of shrubs and trees to block off the hottest of the evening sun. It is also in an area that I can use the pool water to irrigate when I vacuum out the bottom.
I got a big batch of collards picked and put up and I need to pick and put up poke salad and lambs quarter again.
It's a good thing my family likes greens. lol
I have a bunch to do today and I won't get it done sitting here. I will yack at y'all another time.
Take Care,
Okie
Okie
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 June 28th 2009, 8:10 pm

Okie one time i had two plots of vegetable garden started in the front lawn. I told Tom to dump a line of grass clippings at the top of sloping grassed (hard dry well-packed clay) lawn then a week later i pushed aside those clippings and dug in vegetables scrapes left overs etc along there and covered it over again with those clippings.

i did one line every week thru the winter down the hill. if i had known i would have used newspapers too. to kill the grass there under the clumps of grassclipping. Thick layer of newspapers laid down attracts worms and they do the work for you. I never used rotor hoeing thingy.

i grew lots of corn tomatoes lettuce cucumber and parsley etc in those plots. I used buckets of water - no hose those days. i know i am talking of 32 years ago :p

when you are determined you can do it - its always possible. Very Happy

sigh - another wet rainy day today - sun has been trying to come out but... i can see more rain is coming... storm last night lightenings and thunders - my poor dog Sam sat shivering for hours. still i am happy to know we've got plenty of water in our tanks Smile
tree68
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie June 29th 2009, 4:22 pm

That sounds like a wonderful way of gardening, Tree.
I used paper feed sacks to put around my plants, then piled grass clippings on top as we mowed. I would let the clippings dry a day before raking them up and using them. That worked pretty good. I over Wintered my chicken tractors on the spot I had used the sacks and clippings. I would put hay in the tractors and add more as they ate the first batch or as they composted it in. That is the area I now have tomatoes and peppers. Very Happy
I have four or five square bales of hay from two years ago. They are not fit for anything except hen nests and mulching. to funny
I haven't got around to watering and retilling that one area. I am thinking I will see how far the old hay will go towards mulching.
The best garden I ever had was in an area that had not had the soil broken for at least 25 yrs. A neighbor had an old haystack in his pasture that had been there so long the bottom five bales had completely composted to nothing but good rich dirt. I hauled and hauled and hauled the old rotten hay. I piled it about two feet deep on the area I was gonna garden. I let it sit for about a week, then dug down to the soil to plant my seeds or plants. As they grew, I would pull the mulch up around them. I had a dozen tomato plants and six hills of cucumbers along with lots of other veggies. I was picking a bushel of tomatoes a day and a bushel of cucumbers every other day. I put up all my family could possibly use and sold the excess to a local grocery store. WOW, that was 25 yrs ago. My how time does fly.
My daughter was given several round bales of hay that are two yrs old. We will have to go get them, but I think it would be well worth out effort to get every scrap of them. Amending soils is always worth doing.
yepyep

BTW, I have new chicks hatching today. haha

Okie
Okie
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie July 10th 2009, 1:26 pm

Hello everyone. It has been nice and cloudy with a little rain for the past few days. Looks like that is over and the heat is gonna get us. The heat has caused my collards and lettuces to be so bitter they are ineffable. The cucumbers are doing great, but I can't eat them raw. They blow me up like a big old toad frog. rofl
I plan to make a bunch of them up into pickles.
I have made several more little brooders outside. Had three old hens to hatch off clutches of chicks and I have guinea eggs in all three incubators.
Between garden, grand kids and feathered friends, I have been a busy old woman.
I praise God everyday for allowing me to enjoy all the blessings.
I hope God is blessing each and every one of you as much as he is me.
Okie
Okie
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14