The Chicken Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need help

4 posters

Go down

I need help Empty I need help

Post by ferdismom May 7th 2008, 7:11 pm

I'm not sure if he's sick, but my little chocolate muscovy(he's about 2 months old) has some wierd wing growth.

Ok first he has had a hard time growing from fuzz to wings right from the begining. But he now hangs his wings down and they flop when he walks. he seems to have a skin growing over them. I tried to peal a little of the skin like thing back, but it bleeds. There is a wing in there all folded up. I didn't want to hurt him and really don't know what to do.

Has anyone seen this and know what to do?

I need help IM001365
I need help IM001366
I need help IM001367
I need help IM001368

Last edited by ferdismom on May 11th 2008, 9:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
ferdismom
ferdismom

Back to top Go down

I need help Empty Re: I need help

Post by Admin May 10th 2008, 12:25 am

can you get a pic of him standing so we can see how his wings look normally to me sounds like he may be angel winged and I do not think it can be fixed
I have a couple drakes with it if I can I'll get a pic of one but they are free ranging so that may be easier said than done lol
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thechickenpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WildCherry May 10th 2008, 12:55 am

well 5 of us ladys sat in msn here over your birdie. we all thought maybe angel wing. then maybe it was just deformed.

but the more i look and the more i think on it and read over and over what ya wrote hun. and the fact that you do have duckys already. so im sure you kow about angel wing and about the right dites to pervent it. i think its just deformed. you said there is a wing in there but it is in skin. and that it was hard for him to grow it in the first place.

one idea is that maybe. if you had him to the vet for a lookie over they might beable to cut the wing out of its skin?

i know this sometimes happens in chicks and ducks and other birds. when the mom or the batter dont trun the eggs on time. or right. it is comon for a chic to come out deformed in feet legs and wings. just cuz of the get truning.

i dont think it will hurt him any n the long run. i think he will be ok . just a little odd ball in the barn yard Smile wish ya the best of luck hun .

WildCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by ferdismom May 11th 2008, 9:33 pm

I need help IM001369

sorry, I couldn't get him to sit still lol I hope this helps. The thing is it's on both wings, but one is alot better than the other. I tried to peel away a little of the skin, but it bleeds. People keep telling me that he is normal, and that I know for sure he's not. Deb mentioned on FF that he may need more water. This got me to thinking. he is in a pen with 2 little chickens. he has his own pool, but he rarely plays in it. He will drink all the time, but splashing around is really not his thing. I was wondering if maybe he thinks he's a chicken and because he doesn't splash around he doesn't soften that skin up. Or do you think maybe he doesn't produce enough oil?
I really appreciate all your help. I'll try to get better pics.
he seems happy and he eats well, That is really what's important to me. I was worried that this would bother him, but it doesn't seem to.

oh by the way his name is Hershey, and I'm pretty sure he is a he, but hey Ferdi surprised me lol
ferdismom
ferdismom

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb May 12th 2008, 4:09 pm

Can Hershey move in with Ferdi??? I think it is time he became a duck and maybe then he would learn how to play in the water, get his oil glands working a bit better and maybe soften them up and shed them like normal.

Still, follow all the other advice you have been given also. If he is in with chicks...that means he has been on chick starter which is way too high in protiens for his little body.
Deb
Deb
Admin

http://p103.ezboard.com/bfeatheredfriends

Back to top Go down

Post by ferdismom May 13th 2008, 11:36 pm

the chicks are old enough that they have been on scratch for awhile now. he was with the chiks because the ducks were really mean to him(bad ducks!madmad). but per your advice I put him back with the ducks. They still don't like him, but I guess because he is older they are leaving him alone. Hershey isn't happy with this change and while he is free ranging, he keeps trying to go into their pen. his feathers are growing out and the skin is disappering, but he is very slow at growing them. I hope he doesn't do this everytime he molts.

Thanks for all your help and I'll keep you posted.
ferdismom
ferdismom

Back to top Go down

Post by WildCherry May 14th 2008, 1:59 am

I agree with you hun yoru right its not normal.

but if its geting better and he seems to be happy go ducky with out any issues.

then i wouldnt worry to much really and just keep up the good work.im sure he will be fine in the long run. Smile hehe but he sureis a pretty boy.

lookin forword to his updates.

WildCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin May 14th 2008, 9:44 pm

glad to hear that he is doing well, hehe even if he does'nt wanna be a ducky lol it was the best thing for you to put him with the others
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thechickenpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WildCherry May 15th 2008, 12:07 pm

hehe now can we get a face shot of that little guy lol

WildCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by ferdismom May 15th 2008, 2:31 pm

ok you asked for it....lol

here is a pic of him as a baby, he just had a bath.
I need help IM001169

and here is him now. as you can see he now wants to hang with the older chicks and still not the ducks lol
in these pics. you can't see his wings, but they are getting alot better.
I need help IM001385
I need help IM001389

Julie
ferdismom
ferdismom

Back to top Go down

Post by WildCherry May 19th 2008, 3:47 am

ooo he is sooo sweet. gosh i miss havein a ducky Sad your soo blessed to have them little critters. ..he looks like a crack up .

WildCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb May 20th 2008, 9:28 pm

So happy to hear that his wings are clearing up. Watch his diet closely and things should be ok from now on.
Deb
Deb
Admin

http://p103.ezboard.com/bfeatheredfriends

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum