The Chicken Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gardening - flylady's way

Go down

gardening - flylady's way Empty gardening - flylady's way

Post by tree68 June 1st 2008, 12:17 am

Dear Friends,

In the northern hemisphere, we are heading into summer and gardening season. Those of you in the southern hemisphere are getting ready for winter. I have never tackled this part of our basic weekly plan
before, but I am going to give it a shot.

As with most things in our SHE life, we see all or othing. Just looking at our homes and the yard, we don't think that there is enough time to do it all. Well there is, if you will learn to break these areas into zones and smaller bites. Trying to do it all in one
day is going to overwhelm you and take the joy from it. Oh yes there is joy in yard work.

Now let me tell you about our yard. We do not mow. We live in the woods and have no grass, but I know about mowing! It is like washing dishes; you never get finished, because as soon as you do, the grass decides to grow again. LOL

For those of you that don't know about our basic weekly plan. Just think of it as a day for everything. Kind of like the childhood song we sang. This is the way we wash our clothes, every Monday morning. We can also think of it, instead of a place for everything and
everything in its place, we change it just a little to say; a time for every thing. This is pretty elementary, but if your mind has not been trained to think this way, you are going to have fun with this assignment.

When we look at our homes, we have things that we do daily, every other day, weekly, biweekly, and monthly. This also works for our yards and gardens.

What needs to be done daily in our yards?

1. Weeding flowerbeds. Now don't blow a gasket on this one. LOL this is one of those outside jobs that only take a few minutes at a time. It does not have to be done all at once; like we are used to doing as SHEs. Consistent daily plucking of weeds for only 5-15 minutes will keep this under control. This is something that we have ever noticed until it was out of hand. I keep a pair of garden gloves, small rake/spade tool, and some snips in a basket by my front door, so when I walk outside in the cool of the evening or early morning, I can put on the gloves and do just a little. Another reason for wearing the glove besides getting your hands dirty; is to protect from thorns and spider bites. We found several black widow spiders in our rock garden this week. I do not want to be surprised by one of them.

2. Deadheading spent flowers; is something that can be done daily as you walk around your garden. Snip, Snip, Snip!

3. Bird feeders need to be filled daily and fresh water put in birdbaths. This takes only a few minutes. If I don't refill ours, the squirrels and crows will come to the door and let me know they need seeds and peanuts. They are so cute. Yes! We feed crows, they
are beautiful smart birds and they mate for life. They can even mock train sounds and horns. I heard one once sound like a steam whistle from our paper plant. It always blows at 8am and I was hearing it at 10am and I looked out my door, and the crow was making the sound.

4. Some plants need to be watered every day during the hot part of the summer. I make it easy to water, by having the water hose handy or a watering can full at all times. I just refill it after I water, that way I can water without a lot of hassle.

5. Porches may also need to be swept each day. You can just do the main traffic areas and then sweep the whole porch or walk well once a week.

You can incorporate these things into your daily routines. I fill bird feeders in the morning and in the afternoon while supper is cooking, I usually pluck and prune the weeds and spent flowers. Just spend 15 minutes a day doing these little things in your garden. You will never have to spend a whole day again.

Now what needs to be done on a weekly basis?

1. Mowing. For the most part, mowing takes from 1 hour to as many as 5-6 hours, if you have a big yard. You can also break your yard into zones and do it over a couple of days if you need too. This schedule will need to be flexible according to the weather. So set aside one day with an optional day if need.

2. Some flowers or lawns may need to be watered weekly, I personally do not recommend heavy watering. The more you water early in the year, the more shallow the root system develops and if we have a lot of dry weather, the plants will not be hardy and will suffer and so will you. So just a little water when you plant them; then let them root hog or die, I always say. If I have to water them; I know me, I will not do it. So they had better learn to fend for themselves. I
also like to plant a lot of sedums and drought tolerant plants. I like a pretty garden without a lot of work.

3. Some people like to fertilize their lawn and garden weekly. Not me, I buy a bag of Osmocote and put a spoon full around my plants in the spring and then I do not have to do it again for 4 months. They even make some that lasts for 8 months. LOL Fertilizer for the lazy
gardener. I love it. It is a time released fertilizer and it works well. I am very pleased with the results in time saving and beautiful flowers.

4. Pruning of your perennials so you will have staggered blooms and less leggy plants is also a good thing to do early on in the season. This also helps them to make bushier plants.

5. Some of my flowers need to be staked so they don't spread out when the rain weighs them down. So I check on this about once a week. I also look at my vines to make sure that they are entwined in the trellis.

So for the most part, if you will spend 15 minutes a day enjoying your yard and garden by walking out there and looking for a few weeds and clipping what is calling out to you, you can turn work into a labor of love and beauty. Isn't that exactly what we have done with your home, fill it with love! Fill you yard with the same love. It is only work, if you think of it that way.

Now if you are on a budget and want to plant flowers, then let your children plant some zinnia seeds, marigolds, morning glory vines or Moon Flowers. Moon flowers are some of my favorite, because the
blossoms open up before your very eyes in the evening. Children love to watch the show. They are big beautiful white blooms.

Last year I heard a radio essay on flowers. This mother was telling that her little boy said that flowers are God's way of laughing. Think about it. When we experience the sensual joy of flowers, we give God pleasure.

Are you ready to FLY, by living your day in continuous joy?

FlyLady

P.S. We can all do 15 minutes in our yards, if we will just set a timer and get out there and do it. It is just like decluttering our homes. It didn't get messed up in a day and it is not going to get clean overnight. PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION
http://www.flylady.net/index.asp

tree: i have been trying to keep my garden tidy - it seemed impossible - i will try to do these things mentioned above...
tree68
tree68

Back to top Go down

gardening - flylady's way Empty Re: gardening - flylady's way

Post by tree68 June 1st 2008, 12:30 am

today i dug out some very deep rooted weeds i had let grow too big :p plus have trimmed back a tree hanging over a flowering camellia tree. while doing that i found two unwanted trees growing thru behind those trees - i have cut it down short but need to be dug out... it pays to look properly = i didn't! too much work that way... hence flylady's way might - just might - work for me?

been planting out lettuce plants few times weekly - still not finished - i had emptied a whole packet of lettuce seeds into one seeding box!!!

But i did the same with silverbeet and had very few seed in that one - so threw in some radish seeds. with a result of me planting them out realising they were radishes not silver beet (giggles). have planted lettuce in between those Razz

i have four full compost "bins" to be emptied out - where? i dont know yet... lol
tree68
tree68

Back to top Go down