The Chicken Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh my oh my oh my!!!!! Greenhouse!

+5
Dustin Biery
Admin
tree68
caysa
Deb
9 posters

Go down

Oh my oh my oh my!!!!!  Greenhouse! Empty Oh my oh my oh my!!!!! Greenhouse!

Post by Deb May 24th 2008, 10:35 pm

Guess what dear friends!!!!!!!!!! I am a member of freecycle and a listing came up for a 12x12 hoop style greenhouse, all hardware included. I replied immediately and was the first one to reply! I got it!!!!!!!!!! I just got home from picking it up. The ad was wrong, it is a 12x20 greenhouse!!!!!! It's HUGE!!! I can have fresh veggies all winter long. I can even sell veggies from it during the cold winter months and make a few pennies off of it. I can also close off a chunk of it for some chooks to play in, in the winter time. Now, if I only knew where to construct it...here or at my possible new house. So, it sits in pieces, lovingly stored in my basement, waiting for it's time to go up and be productive.

I am so pleased to have gotten this for free!!!
Deb
Deb
Admin

http://p103.ezboard.com/bfeatheredfriends

Back to top Go down

Oh my oh my oh my!!!!!  Greenhouse! Empty Re: Oh my oh my oh my!!!!! Greenhouse!

Post by caysa May 27th 2008, 1:49 pm

Congrats Deb!! I have had a greenhouse for a few years now and I just love it! I am so happy for you that you got it!!
caysa
caysa

Back to top Go down

Oh my oh my oh my!!!!!  Greenhouse! Empty Re: Oh my oh my oh my!!!!! Greenhouse!

Post by tree68 May 28th 2008, 7:29 am

yeah! a good and a very lucky find!!! Very Happy

by chance did you take a photo of it before its dismantled? let's see it? Smile

i find my glasshouse very handy so long the soil is good and water-tap is installed Wink

congratulations - i'm sure you'll have fun - cats love it so beware to watch out when you go in...? lol i've locked Sheeba is couple of times... Wink

yes you'll have something growing all the year round... one winter i had chooks in there but i couldn't grow anything same time... kinda need wire cages to keep them out but i didn't have any. have fun Dee. Very Happy
tree68
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin May 28th 2008, 4:33 pm

how cool is that what a score to say the least lol
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thechickenpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustin Biery May 30th 2008, 10:11 am

The only thing that ever comes across our freecycle is clothes and unwanted cats and dog! I am jealous! Congrats anyway... Wink
Dustin Biery
Dustin Biery

http://bierygame.webs.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by ShowMe31 June 1st 2008, 6:25 pm

CHA-CHING!!!!!!! What a score! You are so lucky.

Smiles
Jul

ShowMe31

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb June 3rd 2008, 12:17 am

Thanks all! I have such grand plans for how it is going to turn out, once I have it up and the beds built inside. Oh my...lol...better get a second job to support the greenhouse habit now!!!!!!
Deb
Deb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfpenfarm August 9th 2008, 12:26 pm

Deb wrote:Thanks all! I have such grand plans for how it is going to turn out, once I have it up and the beds built inside. Oh my...lol...better get a second job to support the greenhouse habit now!!!!!!
You got a good deal Smile those sell for around 800 bucks now with the price of steel going up like it is. I have two 16 x 24' greenhouses sitting out in my shop. Haven't put them together yet. guess i ought to find a spot to put them.

I think i'll turn one of them into a chicken pen. Smile

wolfpenfarm

Back to top Go down

Post by ajharris August 9th 2008, 2:51 pm

I need to get my yard picked up so I can set mine up. I am planning on putting my rabbits in the green house!
ajharris
ajharris

http://www.freewebs.com/ajharris/

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie August 9th 2008, 3:17 pm

ajharris wrote:I need to get my yard picked up so I can set mine up. I am planning on putting my rabbits in the green house!

And I am planning on you raising winter vegetables to. Very Happy
Okie
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 August 9th 2008, 9:26 pm

I am now growing lettuce, silver beet and seedlings in my glasshouse - but it has 6 broken glass panes - haven't got them fixed yet... this is my fourth winter (down-under) and the weather has been very hard on my glasshouse this winter.

it would be wise to make a windbreak near the glasshouse somehow Wink where the strong prevailing winds come from... Smile my neighbour chopped down the trees on the other side of our fence - could be the reason the glasshouse got the brunt of those strong winds this winter. that fence even had a covering to reduce the winds' strength but it wasn't that effective Embarassed

good luck with your glasshouses - might pay to get info on how to use ventilation in a way to prevent the wind's damages?
tree68
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfpenfarm August 9th 2008, 10:20 pm

You know if you have the resources, you can berm the land up to deflect the wind over the top of your greenhouse. lets say the top of your greenhouse is 10 feet. you would go out about 50 feet from the greenhouse and build up a berm that its top is equal or slightly higher than the angle from the top of your greenhouse down to the ground 50 feet from it.
if your berm is sloped upwards and over the point at which it intersects the angle, the wind will rise up and over your greenhouse.

I know we used to build ours at a base of a hill so that any winds would flow over the greenhouse by being deflected by the hills.

wolfpenfarm

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 August 10th 2008, 12:27 am

oh wow! so that's what they were for? ... in the property next door to that one across the road - it had huge heaps of soil along one boundary - in one part they planted flax plants on those. what a good idea...!

but here where my glasshouse is - there is a shed but not long enough and i have planted some trees along that fence i talked about... looks as if i need more trees there...?
tree68
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb August 10th 2008, 3:03 am

Wow, the board has been super busy in my moment of absence!

The greenhouse will be on a level property which sets at the very top of a hill in town. I am hoping the main pervailing winds are not from the side, as I want to run it along the property line, to shield me from my only neighbors. The rest of my new property is surrounded by city park.

The chooks, yes I am finally going to get some again!!! YAY!!!, will be in one end of it during the winter months. During the summer I plan on having a chicken tractor to move around the yard.
Deb
Deb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 August 10th 2008, 11:47 pm

it would be a good idea to put a flag or a weather vane up to study where the winds blow from...

i used a long flax pole tied to the chicken run using a cloth for a flag (giggle) in backyard so i can see which way wind blows before i light a garden bonfire. (it snapped in half in the storms last month - sigh - i need to find a long bamboo which is stronger than flax to replace that. Smile

when i came here i got a shock to see the winds are very different to those five previous homes i had - they all blow from south-west (prevailing winds) but here the strongest winds blows from east-south!!!

Have fun planning... all of ya flower
tree68
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum