View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Good Morning Allllllllllllllllllllllllll

Post by WildCherry on November 8th 2008, 3:37 am

tell me about it Rolling Eyes

WildCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Belair54 on November 12th 2008, 11:51 am

Hey all, Im back for my semi weekly vist.

Its a great day in okie land........not to hot....not to cold.

Its just right Very Happy
Belair54

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 on November 12th 2008, 11:49 pm

welcome back Belair Smile

went out with two girlfriends - had coffee then visited a place to try get blue silkie eggs - none but had standard gold laced wyndottes. Carol got six to hatch herself. went to another near by and arranged to pick up some silver laced next thursday - similar to my spunky = for my fresh dozen eggs - wanting to use hers fertilized for feeding people in Bed n Breakfast people!

an hour later i will be going to a pot luck dinner taking stuffed eggs for tea Very Happy
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie on November 14th 2008, 9:49 pm

I have been working my tail off trying to get set for a cold spell that is coming in tonight. I have my chicken tractors all grouped together in a shanty town. I have the timer for the lights that turn on at 3:30 every morning. I worked all day putting plastic around the outsides of my shanty town. Daughter and I butchered 8 roosters yesterday and I did some feather shuffling to where 9 more of my free rangers are now tractored.
I need three more pens or tractors to get all my chickens sorted out and seperated into pure breeds or for the cross breed meat birds. I started a couple dozen eggs to incubating. I have one dozen already two thirds of the way to hatch time. I still haven't got the camera out. I will make sure to get a good picture of the Blue Silkies I just hatched so Tree can see them. Smile The lights on timers are beginning to do their stuff. Two groups of Cuckoo Marans, one group of Black Copper Marans, the Dark Cornish and the Mille Fleur d'Uccles have all started laying again and the Blue Americaunas are getting red combs. If the Good Lord is willing, I will be able to start listing eggs agin next week. Smile
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb on November 14th 2008, 11:19 pm

Well done you! I am exhausted just reading all that.

Admin

http://p103.ezboard.com/bfeatheredfriends

Back to top Go down

Post by noend on November 15th 2008, 5:51 pm

Yeah me too, exhausted...I've only got 9 and they keep me busy..I just got done enclosing their home in plastic for the winter.
noend

http://thisiscreeepy.yuku.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Belair54 on November 16th 2008, 12:18 pm

welp, what to do today.......spent all day yesterday building a small deck off my tool shed. Thats done.
Then I have several piles of small tree limbs to burn, mihgt do that today if the wind is down.
Belair54

Back to top Go down

Post by noend on November 17th 2008, 1:16 pm

Good morning all, but not a nice day in my neighborhood..it's 31 degrees and snowing. Not sticking tho..
I get depressed with cold weather, anything below 70 is too cold for me.
noend

http://thisiscreeepy.yuku.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb on November 17th 2008, 2:41 pm

Good morning all. Gorgeous sunny day out here, mid 60's for the high. Getting ready to pack up the dogs and take them for a run up in the 'hills'.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 on November 17th 2008, 10:52 pm

good afternoon allllll Very Happy

done weekly food shopping - took pics of 4 wee white capped black polish chicks ... awww they are cute!

yesterday planted lettuce plants into dug up dry soil mixed with old compost from old chicken yard garden's compost and well watered - very dry in the glass house.

weather alot cooler - showers this morning - dry with cold winds this afternoon with bit of sunshine - some washing out on line after the last shower.

will go take another pic of baby foal over the road when i finished my cuppa of black sweet tea. see ya all Smile
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Belair54 on November 18th 2008, 1:35 pm

So Im the first today huh????????????????????????/
Belair54

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 on November 18th 2008, 6:28 pm

Afraid so Belair...

planning to rustle together odds and ends together to make a tractor (two heavy boxes for shelter) for my hens with babies - white capped black polish.

cloudy cool day.

have a good day alllllll Very Happy
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb on November 20th 2008, 5:04 pm

What the heck...it's afternoon already and not ONE post for the day so far!?! Where is everyone? Just what do you think is so important that your not here, filling my dull existance with wit and humor? LOL

Anyways, I had a hectic morning here. Teddy (the new puppy) had his second vet appointment this morning and getting everyone settled down, fed and us two out the door seemed harder than ever. When I left the house it was pouring. When I came home, the sun was shining and it was a tad warmer out.

Not going for a run today. Teddy isn't in the mood for much except napping and whining that he got poked twice. Plus, it's a bit muddy out there and I cleaned the inside of my vehicle spotless yesterday.

Ok, off to cuddle a little baby pup. Have a nice afternoon all.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 on November 20th 2008, 8:00 pm

Yesterday Carol and i met for coffee at waimauku village then came home to show her our baby chicks - after lunch we went to Kumeu to pick up a dozen of black laced white polish eggs and drove 40 minutes out to Kaukapakapa to pick up a dozen of blue and black orpingtons - carol got half dozen of favorles (sp ) for herself we settled four broodies with half dozen eggs each. Carol suggested to take out corrugated iron
remember said it would get too hot for chicks. yes you were right Dee Smile

boy was i really tired? i took carol home at night loaned her a hen Kelly for her to hatch those Fv eggs and she gave me some spare chicken wire and plastic corrugated to make shelter for tractor(s?) - oh by the way on way home from getting Orp eggs we called in to see her son's home close by and picked up heaps of wood for finishing my tractor with... flower

so i will be busy today...if i have the energy - still feel tired! probably concentrate on making rough but strong tractors from now on... mmm need more short strong nails?... will get it at local store nearby on way home from the beach/cafe if i remember?

yes i am going down to the beach... meeting Tom in a cafe nearby as he is walking along Oaia Road to the bush walk and walk down millions of steps? along the steep path/track ... down to the beach... he is wondering where that track ends up... lol pretty adventurous for a 79 year old man! Smile

see ya when i see ya tree3
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie on November 23rd 2008, 8:19 am

It's been cold here for the past few days. I got all my chicken tractors scooted together to help break the wind off each other. I have chicks in an old aquarium in the house. They are sure smelling up the place, but I have the 6 mo. grandson for a few days and that limits my time of working outside. I will put new litter in with the chicks and hope I can get them a place ready outside SOON! I have been having a bad run of fowl pox. I have doctored with Fish Zole and got them on the road to recovery. The Pox will hang around, so I guess I'm gonna learn how to vaccinate. I have eggs in both incubators and I am thinking on how to make window replacements for the third one. I have eggs coming in the mail tomorrow. I may just have to combine both sets of eggs now incubating into one incubator so I can get the mailed eggs in without putting cold eggs in with warm ones. I don't like to add eggs when others have already started. I am finally getting enough eggs to list some. It sure does help pay for the feed.
I hear the baby coughing. Seems they always want me to keep him when he is sick. Poor little guy.
Y'all have a good day. Smile
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 on November 23rd 2008, 9:12 pm

good day alllll....

a damp day here - been raining heaps - everything is very wet or damp out here.

been nailing supports onto tractor base - placed plastic corrugated piece on top with weights Rolling Eyes as roof for my wee polish chicks with two hens - much bigger area today. found water feeder and washed it before filling it for them as they kept tipping water containers over in their mothers' eager scratching around.

having lunch now - planning to plant onion seedlings i grew from seed - not many but still wanna try :p

take care - have fun guys tree3
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie on November 25th 2008, 10:46 am

Tree, I am so glad to hear what all you are doing. It helps me to know that it isn't Winter time everywhere. I get to thinking that maybe Spring will be here again some day. LOL
Well, this morning isn't the greatest, we all have colds now from the youngest grandson. Poor baby stays sick it seems. But I do what I can for him when they let me keep him. Sad
Son in Law brought in a spike deer yesterday evening. Daughter skinned and gutted it. It was cool enough outside last night that we let it cool in a big tub in the back of one of our vehicles. I reckon She and I will get the meat off the bones and into the freezer today. I need to work on the outside brooder so I can get these stinky little chickens out where they can scratch dirt. I have around three dozen Marans eggs in the incubators now and got 5 of the Black Copper eggs in the mail yesterday. The mailed eggs are from a Pure French line of Birds that were smuggled into America a few years ago. They are exactly what so may breeders have been trying to breed there flocks to be, but I don't have to wait several years to get there. LOL
I have several of my own Black Copper Marans eggs in the incubator to. They are 3/4 blood of these Pure lines, so should turn out to be pretty decent birds.
I have hatched off what is called sports from my Cuckoo Marans. Sports are different colors than what is normal for the breed. The ones I hatched first have a whole lot more silver (white) on them. I have a rooster and two hens. From them, I hatched off some. The rooster has maybe a 1/4 real light Cuckoo color and the rest of his body is white. The hens have white necks and a dappled blue looking body. With your Marans, they have to lay eggs at are at least a #4 on the French Marans egg chart at some time during their laying cycle, or they are no longer considered to be Marans. I am calling these dappled chickens Platinum Marans. One of the pullets have started laying. I am tickled to pieces. Her first 4 eggs were a good #4 and the egg I got yesterday was a full #5. This probably doesn't mean anything to most of y'all, but it was birds like these that the White Marans found here in America were hatched from. I have a real good chance of ending up with a very rare type that will have eggs that are like gold. Just a couple of breeds that have eggs that sell good and they can pay for the feed for all the others. Smile
I need to take pictures of gourds I washed and get them on ebay today to. It amazes me about how many people want gourds for crafting. I live in a perfect climate to raise them and I usually have 5 to 10 bushels every Fall. My gourd sales kept the chickens fed for the first year I was starting out with all the pure breeds. I know I sound braggish, but I give all the credit to our Sweet Lord. He gave me the know how and He created all these neat natural wonders I am blessed with. Praise be to God.
Y'all have a wonderful day. happy happy
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb on November 25th 2008, 2:29 pm

Okie, your not braggish, your living a dream I once had. It might come back around to me again someday...but for right now I have to put it out of my mind or the depression will eat me alive. It's lovely to hear about your stories and how things are going.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 on November 25th 2008, 7:01 pm

Okie - i'd love to see pics of your marans you are trying to multiply - very happy to hear their rare eggs helps to pay for chooks' food. I'm not making money out of my chooks - just my pleasure... a struggle but managing somehow with friends scraps and breads'

Dee i lived in an old cottage the time everybody was buying brand new house with mortage... i often looked at my friends' homes and my parents homes with envy.

But gradually i managed (struggled and budgetted) to upgrade our homes by buying and selling our own homes five times with an artist for a husband - now living in sixth... i never thought i would get here - never thought i would end up with lovely home at age of 65 ... still plan to move to rural area as near shops as poss - (impossible?)...

dogged persistance for 35 years has paid off but only to find i cant have a rooster here... aw but its only a little thing many people would say but it stopped me from breeding blue Silkies - maybe that dream has yet to come ...

22c now - wearing grubby singlet and denium knee length shorts - waiting for Paul our oldest son to visit us today. to think he will be 40 next month - wow... time flys from time we lived in wee cottage.
Laughing
i tripped on piece of wire sticking out of concrete i used as a step into the coop and bruised my arm... but still i carry on....
will plant few more silver beet inside glasshouse for us to eat and outside in old chicken run for chooks to eat Very Happy tree3
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Belair54 on November 26th 2008, 12:20 am

Welp, I tell ya, dont use a 15 foot chain to pull down a thirty foot dead tree. Thats what my buddy did and I told him in the hospital................not to swift.

No compassion was given........ok a little as I did consider 3 broken ribs, a puncture spleen and a bruised kidney to be a tad over.................

I am glad to report I AM DOING FINE>>>>>>>>>>>> woo hoo
Belair54

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb on November 26th 2008, 12:59 am

to funny Oh sheesh Mark, tell your buddy that a woman should have done the job right...instead. to funny

Glad your ok.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie on November 27th 2008, 10:00 am

Good Morning and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Son in law is deer hunting, husband will have to work till noon. Mandy and i are gonna start cooking soon for a Thanksgiving Supper. I hope you each have a wonderful day.Smile
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by tree68 on November 27th 2008, 6:25 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Day to allllllll....

I am hoping to plant out some tomato plants today....

a beautiful sunny day yesterday Smile cloudy cooler day 19c

dithering whether to go out or not today...

have a great satisfying day all of ya today! tree3
tree68

Back to top Go down

Post by Okie on November 28th 2008, 9:52 am

We had a wonderful dinner yesterday evening. Mandy and I worked all day cooking. I have a bunch of home canned pumpkin from last year. I went to get a jar for pies and realized the pumpkin was in a box under my bed with a bunch of other stuff in front of it. Decided it would be just as easy to go ahead and cook down a big pumpkin we had sitting in the floor. It took quite a bit of time to get it ready for a pie. Only half of the big pumpkin would fit in my 22 quart pressure cooker. While it cooked, I peeled the rest of the pumpkin and cut it into small enough pieces I can raw pack it into jars if I decide to. Mandy has a nice little electric roaster that we cooked two small Turkeys in. She took my chunked up pumpkin and put it in her refrigerator when she went after the roaster. That had to have been the juiciest pumpkin I have ever messed with. That whole 22 qt pressure cooker full of pumpkin cooked down to a big bowl full. Once I drained it, ran it through a colander and pressed out more juice to make it be solid packed like a can of pumpkin from the store, we got 3 1/2 cups of pumpkin. Two pies worth out of half a huge pumpkin. scratch
We put a very little amount of water in the bottom of the pressure cooker before we started it. We ended up with 3 1/2 gallons of juice off the pumpkin. That is just crazy. LOL
I have the juice in a bucket to make a mash for my chickens. I see no reason not to give them the vitamins instead of throwing it out. But we don't eat pumpkin pie very often. We will make pumpkin bread and pumpkin pancakes pretty often. I plan to go ahead and can the other half of the pumpkin for those things. I even saved the fiber from squishing the pumpkin through the colander. I am thinking about adding it in when we bake some Pumpkin cookies or bread for the extra fiber. We can all use the extra. LOL
I hope you all had a good one.
Tree, you make me wish I could be there with you to plant tomatoes. I made a little brooder house on the South side of my little chicken house. The brooder is made out of old storm doors. It has a solid roof, but get's plenty of sun. I may just see if a couple of hanging tomatoes would survive out there. Smile
Okie

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb on December 1st 2008, 12:47 am

Okie...I would love to just be your shadow once in a while. You live the life I long for.

Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was warm and happy.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top